Powerpoints and other electronic slideshows and presentations have become an important part of the modern office worker’s toolbox. This means that projectors and projector screens used to show these slides have become common features of our boardrooms, conference rooms, and classrooms.
Visual aids and other types of media have been widely used in work presentations for a long time. During the 20th century, this was often done through the use of posters, overhead projectors, and slide projectors. Although many of these methods are still widely used people now often prefer the use of digital projectors and electronic slide shows.
Here are some reasons why people prefer them:
- Their versatility allows you to use them to show a wide variety of media such as videos, images, and documents, among others.
- Visual aids can help to maintain listener’s attention and interest.
- Allows you to relay information that is not easily done by explaining it, for example, by using graphs.
- Compared to other methods electronic projectors are often effortless to use once it has been set up
- The quality of the visuals is mostly higher than with older methods
However, electronic projection systems need several pieces of equipment to set up of which one of the most important is a projector screen. Projector screens come in many different forms but all share one feature. The consist of some type of surface which is used to display images that are projected onto it.
The types that are mostly found in offices and classrooms, which are front projection screens which reflect the light from images that are projected on them by overhead projectors or digital projectors. They can be permanently installed or be more mobile and can even come in the form of walls that are specially painted for this purpose.
With so many options available, this article will give a breakdown of some of the types of projector screens and compare them to each other.
Pull down projector screen
Image source: https://www.pexels.com/photo/black-chairs-and-white-table-159805/
One of the most popular types of projector screens is pull down projector screens. These are the ones you would typically see in classrooms and rooms that were built as a space in which presentations of some kind would take place.
They are a more permanent type of screen as they need to be installed. They are usually installed close to a wall and are attached to a wall or to the ceiling.
Pull down projector screens consist of a screen that is usually made of a special type of painted fabric that is rolled up into a tube or other similar structure. A handle or a rope is attached to the screen which can be pulled on to lower the screen or to roll it back up.
So what are the benefits of this type of screen?
- Because they are retractable, you can store them when they are not needed and you can use the wall behind it for something else. That is why they are often put in front of whiteboards.
- They do not take up much space as they are very thin and only a small part of it is physically mounted on the wall or ceiling
This type of screen clearly has a lot of benefits but also comes with a set of drawbacks. Some of them are:
- They need installation, this means it can be more expensive, require more initial effort, and cannot just be moved but needs to be reinstalled
- If they are not tensioned or kept taught in some way the material can move and this will distort the image.
The pull-down screens that have been referred to are manual pull down screens. You should keep in mind that you can also get automatic varieties of them. In this case, the screen can be lowered or raised by pushing a button and does not need to be pulled down by you.
Projector screen paint
Image source: https://www.pexels.com/photo/paint-art-paint-brush-white-8724/
If you still want a more permanent type of screen but you do not want a pull-down projection screen why not use your wall. Essentially all you need for a projector screen is a flat surface that can reflect the light from the projector. That is why many people have opted for painting a wall with projection screen paint to transform it into a suitable surface.
There are special projections screen paints made of materials that are designed to make your wall the ultimate projection surface. They turn your wall smooth and come in shades of white that works well for this purpose. But don’t worry if you don’t want to use this specific type of paint, other shades of normal white paint can also work.
What are the benefits of painting your own screen on your wall?
- They are more cost effective and you pay less for the same amount of surface area.
- Although they are permanent, they do not take up any extra space and you can move things in front of them when you are not using the wall as a screen.
- It can be a fun do it yourself project if you are into that type of thing.
Now here are some of the drawbacks of this type of screen:
- The paint that is specially made for this purpose are sometimes hard to come by and is more expensive. You can use normal paint but you need to choose your paint carefully so as to get one that does not distort the colors of the images.
- If your wall has a rougher texture, you might have to put effort into smoothing it down a bit before it can become your projector screen as this can seriously impact the image quality.
- The image quality of your projection will probably be lower than it would be with other types of screens, especially if you didn’t use paint that was made with this purpose in mind.
Portable projector screen
Image source: https://www.flickr.com/photos/cordeiro/14090739788
If neither of these more permanent types of projector screens will work for you, portable projector screens are another popular option. These are projections screens that can be moved around easily.
They come in three main types. The first is a folding screen that is attached to a foldable frame. The second is floor pull-up screens that are rolled up in a tube or casing which is placed on the ground. In this case, you pull the screen up out of the casing and keep it upright by attaching it to a frame or rod. The last type is a tripod projector screen which is a screen that is mounted on a frame that can easily be moved around.
These three types of portable projection screens share many of the same features. The biggest benefits of these screens are:
- Portable projections screens are less expensive than pull-down screens
- They can be moved to wherever you want to use them.
- These types of screens come in a large variety of sizes to fit different needs. Some folding screens can even be folded into different sizes.
- They do not need installation as they only need to be set up when you use it.
They also share many of the same drawbacks which are:
- Because they can be moved around you also need a projector that is portable.
- Each time that the screen is moved you need to adjust it so that the image is correctly projected onto the surface.
So all in all, all three of these screens have substantial benefits and drawbacks. In the end, it all comes down to what features are more important to you. Also remember that there are even more types of projection screens available than these, such as motorized screens and curved screens.
Now you just need to find the digital projector with the specifications of your choice that suits your budget, your space, and your needs. For more on how to create an ergonomic and modern workspace, visit Jasonl.